If You Served Your Country Only To Have Your LTD Benefits Denied, Read This
If You Served Your Country Only To Have Your LTD Benefits Denied, Read This
You served your country and gave everything you had. Then, when you needed support, you came up empty.

If you’ve had your long-term disability claim denied after serving in the Canadian Armed Forces, we’ll tell you what you need to know to get the support you deserve. A disability lawyer can help you navigate the system successfully. You’ve sacrificed for your country. Don’t sacrifice on receiving the compensation you need to take care of yourself and your family.

Who is Eligible?

If you’re a serving member of the CAF, either Regular Force or Reserves, you’re likely covered by the Service Income Security Insurance Plan (SISIP). This program is provided through Manulife covering long-term disability benefits for military personnel.

Regular Force and most Reserve Force members are covered under this plan. To see if your class and time served meets the minimum requirements, check out SISIP’s FAQ page “here” (link URL). Regular Force members who enrolled on or after April 1, 1982 are covered whether or not they were injured in the line of duty. Reserve Force members who enrolled on or after December 1, 1999, are covered while on duty only.

What is the Coverage?

You’re eligible to receive up to 75% of your salary. The coverage is available for both physical and mental illness and can help you take the time you need to recover while still supporting your family.

Income replacement benefits through SISIP are available for up to two years following your release. If you’re deemed ‘totally disabled’ you may be covered until you reach age 65.

What happens if you get denied?

You can get legal advice at any step in the process of seeking compensation. However, if SISIP has denied your claim, it’s especially essential to seek the services of a lawyer with experience in LTD claims.

While there’s an appeals process through SISIP, it can be time-consuming and often results in denial anyway. This can use up valuable time that you need to secure full compensation before the time limit expires.

If your claim has been denied, contact Insurance Lawyers Edmonton with experience in LTD claims as soon as possible to find out what options you have.

How can a lawyer help?

Lawyers are experienced in getting the best possible outcomes for their clients. They will expertly represent your interests to seek an equitable outcome.

Lawyers can help you understand the nuances and technicalities of your claim and ensure you are aware of any time limitations.

They’ll also deal directly with the insurance company. Having someone represent you instead of communicating directly with them can help protect your rights and ensure you don’t say something that can be used to undermine your claim.

Many lawyers offer free consultations so you can find out what your options are and have your questions answered. It’s worth making a call to find out how a lawyer can help in your particular case.

What happens when the 2-year period expires?

The income replacement benefits provided under SISIP are limited to two years. During that time, your case may undergo medical reviews. It will be determined if you’re ‘totally disabled’ in which case your benefits could continue beyond 24 months, and last until you reach 65 years of age.

Otherwise, you’ll have to contact Veterans Affairs after 2 years. This is a vulnerable time in which many members find their claims to disability benefits denied. Reach out to a lawyer to find out what options you have and ensure that your rights to compensation are protected.

Do I have any other benefits?

In addition to income replacement, you may be eligible for the Vocational Rehabilitation program.

This falls under the CAF’s long-term disability plan to offer counselling, training, and education to releasing members. The intent is to give you an opportunity to tailor or upgrade your skills and prepare you to seek civilian employment.

Why you should contact a lawyer

Contacting a lawyer is a sound investment in ensuring you understand what your rights are and put forward a well-prepared claim for compensation.

A lawyer who is experienced in fighting insurance claim denials can take on the stress of managing your compensation requests so that you can focus on your health and your family. The process isn’t easy to navigate, especially when you've been injured and need time to recover. Don’t miss out on valuable compensation entitlements by failing to seek legal advice if your claim is denied.

Find out how Insurance Lawyer in Edmonton can help you fight for compensation by requesting a free consultation. You may finally find the support you need to get the compensation you deserve.

You’ve sacrificed enough. If you’re an injured Regular Force member, or a Reservist who was injured in the line of duty, make sure you seek legal advice so that you’re compensated fairly.