The steps to move QuickBooks Desktop to another computer are quite easy if users know the right set of steps required. While there are uncountable third-party tools that can facilitate the process, it is strongly recommended to make use of QuickBooks Migration Tool to move QuickBooks desktop to another computer.
Here are some steps you need to follow to transfer QuickBooks Desktop from old Computer to a new Computer manually.
Step 1 Create backup of the company files and QuickBooks license
To create a backup of your company files and QuickBooks license, you can follow these steps:
· Open QuickBooks and log in to your company file as the administrator.
· Click on the "File" menu and select "Create Backup."
· In the "Create Backup" window, choose the location where you want to save the backup file. It's recommended to save the backup file to an external hard drive or a cloud storage service like Dropbox or Google Drive.
· Select the "Local Backup" option and click "Next."
· Choose the "Save Backup Copy Automatically" option and set a backup schedule that suits your needs.
· Select the "Complete Verification" option to ensure that your backup file is error-free.
· Click "Next" and then click "Save Backup" to start the backup process.
· Once the backup is complete, you'll be prompted to save the backup file to the location you specified earlier.
· To backup your QuickBooks license, you'll need to locate and copy the file that contains your license information. The file is called "QBregistration.dat" and it's usually located in the same folder as your QuickBooks program files.
· Once you've located the file, make a copy of it and save it to a safe location, such as an external hard drive or a cloud storage service.
Step 2 Restore the backup of the company files on the new system
To restore a backup of your company files on a new system, you can follow these steps:
· Install QuickBooks on your new system if you haven't already done so.
· Connect the external hard drive or other storage device that contains your backup file to your new system.
· Open QuickBooks and go to the "File" menu.
· Select "Open or Restore Company."
· Choose the "Restore a Backup Copy" option and click "Next."
· Select the backup file you want to restore and click "Open."
· Choose the location where you want to restore the backup file. You can restore it to the default location or choose a custom location.
· Click "Save" to start the restore process.
· QuickBooks will prompt you to choose a name for the restored company file. You can choose to use the original name or a new name.
· Click "Next" and then "Restore" to complete the process.