Traditional laundry detergents include hazardous chemicals that leave a residue on the garments. Following that, the chemicals come into touch with the skin and can cause skin issues, particularly in those who have sensitive skin or have skin diseases. It can also cause our bodies' hormonal equilibrium to be disrupted.
Doing laundry in a sustainable manner using safe and natural laundry detergents allows you to stay clean without resorting to harsh chemicals.
Here’s a checklist that can help you choose sustainable and eco-friendly laundry detergents!
- Check for clean ingredients
- Ditch any form of chlorine, bleach and dyes, chemical fragrances, phosphates, parabens and sulphates. It’s a big no-no!
- Check if it's hypoallergenic
- Some safe and non-toxic formulas are vegan and some are not. You can opt for laundry detergents that are 100% plant-based and certified as vegan.
- Biodegradable: This isn’t just about packaging but also the detergent as well. Look whether the ingredients are biodegradable or not.
- In case if the detergent has palm oil, make sure that it is sourced responsibly. Anyway, it is best suggested to be avoided.
- Last but not the least, PACKAGING!