Phase Transfer Catalyst: Introduction
- Phase transfer catalyst is a catalyst that enables the migration of a reactant from one phase into another. Phase transfer catalysis is a special form of heterogeneous catalysis. Ionic reactants are frequently soluble in an aqueous phase, but insoluble in organic phase in the absence of a phase transfer catalyst.
- The catalyst acts as a detergent for solubilizing salts into the organic phase. It is sometimes employed in liquid/solid and liquid/gas reactions.
- Phase transfer catalyst helps achieve faster reactions and obtain higher conversions or yields. This eliminates the need for expensive or dangerous solvents that dissolve all the reactants in one phase. It also helps eliminate the need for expensive raw materials; and minimize waste issues. Phase transfer catalysts are employed in green chemistry.
Request a Sample-
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Phase Transfer Catalyst Market
- The phase transfer catalyst market has been expanding significantly owing to the increase in demand for the adoption of green chemistry in organic synthesis. Phase transfer catalyst is also used in the agrochemical sector for the production of herbicides, fungicides, rodenticides, insecticides, soil conditioners, and other products. This is propelling the phase transfer catalyst market.
- Rise in demand for environment-friendly & natural and chemical-free catalysts is boosting the phase transfer catalyst market. It also opens up opportunities for players to invest in this market. This is expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Availability of cost-effective industrial catalysts and technological developments for the synthesis of chemicals to reduce the use of phase transfer catalysts are likely to hamper the market in the near future
Phase Transfer Catalyst: Type Segment
- Based on type, the phase transfer catalyst market can be segmented into ammonium salts and phosphonium salts
- The phosphonium salts segment is projected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. Phosphonium salts is a major type of quaternary onium salt. Phosphonium salts are ionic compounds with the formula R-4P+, where R is the organic group. These salts are capable of tolerating high temperature fluctuations. Methyl triphenyl phosphonium chloride, benzyl triphenyl phosphonium chloride, and ethyl triphenyl phosphonium bromide are some of the phosphonium salts that are employed as phase transfer catalysts in agrochemical and pharmaceutical applications.
Request for covid19 impact analysis –
COVID-19 Impact on Phase Transfer Catalyst Market
- Since the beginning of 2020, global economy has been experiencing downturn with the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. The COVID-19 pandemic is anticipated to significantly affect the production and distribution of phase transfer catalysts.
- Governments of several countries have imposed strict lockdowns to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. Many manufacturing companies are either shut down or running low on production capacity.
- Decrease in industrial activities due to the pandemic has been adversely impacting the global phase transfer catalyst market
North America Holds Major Share of Phase Transfer Catalyst Market
- In terms of region, the global phase transfer catalyst market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is expected to be the leading region of the global market during the forecast period. Increase in awareness related to health has resulted in high demand for medicines in prominent countries such as Mexico and the U.S. Phase transfer catalysts are used in the pharmaceuticals industry in synthesis, R&D, drug formulation, and laboratory applications.
- Growth of the pharmaceuticals industry is a key factor driving the demand for phase transfer catalysts during the forecast period. The phase transfer catalyst market in South Africa is anticipated to expand at a sluggish pace compared to that in other countries, due to the undeveloped economy and lack of technological advancements in the country.
- The phase transfer catalyst market in Asia Pacific is driven by the increase in demand for these catalysts in countries such as China, Japan, Australia, South Korea, and India. Ongoing industrialization and flourishing end-use industries such as pharmaceuticals and agrochemicals in emerging economies such as China and India are also driving the phase transfer catalyst market in Asia Pacific.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Phase Transfer Catalyst Market
The global phase transfer catalyst market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global phase transfer catalyst market include:
- SACHEM Inc.
- Tokyo Chemical Industry Co., Ltd.
- Nippon Chemical Industrial Co., Ltd.
- Dishman Group
- PAT IMPEX
- Tatva Chintan Pharma Chem Pvt. Ltd.
- Central Drug House (P) Ltd.
- Pacific Organics Private Limited
- Otto Chemie Pvt. Ltd.
- Volant-Chem Corp
- RHI Magnesita
Global Phase Transfer Catalyst Market: Research Scope
Global Phase Transfer Catalyst Market, by Type
- Ammonium Salts
- Phosphonium Salts
Global Phase Transfer Catalyst Market, by End-use
Global Phase Transfer Catalyst Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Companies in the Phase Transfer Catalyst market have increasingly shifted gears with wide application of digital technology across the continuum, from raw material sourcing to manufacturing to generation of final output, to warehousing to final distribution operations. Among the various affects, the market is witnessing new growth economics due to thinning of line between specialty and commodity businesses that are associated with the larger ecosystem. At the same time, new growth parameters are being vigorously being debated as industry stakeholders put greater emphasis on the circular economy processes.
More Trending Report-