Moving to PHP 7.4 and Discontinuing Some Old Versions
What is PHP?
PHP is an acronym for Hypertext Preprocessor. It is a widespread and well-supported programming language used by many websites as a prerequisite for its functioning.
It requires regular maintenance and updates. The new PHP 7.4 is the latest stable version of PHP that introduced many new features and performance/security enhancements to enable smooth operations of websites.
New Features Introduced In PHP 7.4
● Arrow functions for cleaner one-liner functions
● Preloading to improve performance
● Typed properties in classes
● Improved type variance
● The null coalescing assignment operator as ashorthand
● FFI for better extension development in PHP
● Underscores used to format numeric values
● Spread operator in arrays
● Numeric literal separators
● Custom object serialization
● Reflection for references
● Password hashing registry
● And lots of small deprecations
Moving to PHP 7.4 as the Server Default
Currently, PHP 7.4 is widely compatible with different CMS’s, themes, and plugins. From June 2021, all new sites will be using 7.4 as a default setting. Therefore, all websites using PHP service must upgrade to 7.4 during June 10-21, 2021,for undeniable performance and security advantages.