Funding is the major obstacle for students aspiring to enrol in a PhD degree programme in international universities. Reputed universities are expensive, and as an international student, it is costly to study in an international university. Many students find it impossible to achieve their dream of doing PhD from a reputed university. The UK is the most expensive country to go to for a PhD programme without any question. Britain is one of the most developed countries to live in, and it is the best place to study. Many students dream of going to the United Kingdom for higher education because of its state of the art universities, premium faculty, and multiple job opportunities.
The UK is considerate about the impediment of lack of resources which discourages the aims and aspirations of domestic and international students. For that purpose, it churns out a significant number of scholarships every year for deserving students. Fully funded scholarships have a positive impact on improving the student’s educational journey. It provides them with the resources to pay the tuition fees, accommodation expenses, travel expenses and health insurance. There is a considerable degree of interest in looking out for fully-funded PhD scholarships in the UK. This article by PhD dissertation help experts aims to make your search convenient. It will enlist appropriate fully funded scholarships for PhD.
Commonwealth PhD Scholarships
Commonwealth scholarships facilitate the education of citizens hailing from commonwealth countries. Eligible students can apply for Commonwealth scholarships to pursue PhD from the best universities in the UK. Commonwealth scholarships are the most competitive because they are fully funded scholarships. The primary aim of Commonwealth scholarships is to support potential students who can positively contribute to the well-being of society. Here are a few details of the Commonwealth Scholarship.
UK Department for International Development (DFID)
Field of Study
Commonwealth scholarships cover the following PhD programmers:
- Engineering and Technology
- Environmental Studies
- Biotechnology or Biochemical Engineering
- Computer Science/Computer Applications
- Aerospace Engineering/Aeronautics
- Pure & Applied Sciences
- Agricultural Studies
- Humanities & Social Sciences
Benefits of Commonwealth Scholarships
- Full Tuition Fees
- Monthly Stipend
- Air tickets from home country to the UK
- Warm clothing
- Expenses of study related travels within the UK
- Thesis grant
- Permanent resident of eligible Commonwealth country
- Citizens from Commonwealth nations or having a refugee status
- Available to start academic studies in the UK by the start of the Academic year in September
- By the beginning of September 2022, the candidate must have a first degree of at least upper second class( 2:1) honours standard and relevant postgraduate qualification( a Master’s degree)
- Unable to afford study in the UK without the scholarship
- Provide supporting documents in the required format
Gates Cambridge Scholarship
Gates Cambridge Scholarship is a fully-funded scholarship established by Bill and Melinda Gates in October 2000. They donated 210 million dollars for this scholarship, and it is for the University of Cambridge. Each year Gates Cambridge scholarship offers 80 scholarships to talented individuals from students outside the UK to pursue full-time postgraduate degrees. PhD students get two-thirds of scholarships out of the total proportion of 80.
- Covers the total cost of studying at the University of Cambridge
- Maintained allowance for the entire duration of PhD
- Return Air Tickets
- Internal visa costs and health coverage
Field of Study
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship is applicable for all PhD degrees offered by the University of Cambridge.
- Outstanding intellectual qualities
- Leadership qualities
- PhD applicants have to submit a research proposal for their chosen field of study
- Two academic references
- Students outside the UK who have a Master degree can apply for the scholarship
The Rhodes scholarship is the most esteemed and competitive scholarship to pursue doctoral studies at Oxford. This scholarship aims to support deserving students based on their outstanding abilities. Rhodes offers almost 100 scholarships every year for potential students. Rhodes is a fully-funded scholarship, and it has no application processing fee. Let’s highlight the essential features of the Rhodes scholarship.
- Rhodes Trust
Field of Study
- All PhD programmes offered at the University of Oxford
- Application fee for University of Oxford
- Tuition fees
- Annual stipend
- Maintenance allowance
- Return tickets
- Visa Processing Fees
- Health Coverage
- Eligibility criteria for Rhodes scholarships differ for each country. Students can visit the Rhodes scholarship website to know about the eligibility criteria for their country.
Leeds University Business School International Business Department Scholarship
International Business Department at Leeds University UK offers two PhD scholarships for international applicants every year. The deadline to apply is April 2022. Leeds University business department is known for its rigour and high-quality education. The award lasts for three years. In the last two years, the renewal of the scholarship depends on academic performance.
- Tuition fees of the University of Leeds
- Maintenance grant of £15,609
- PhD aspirants have to submit a research proposal to pursue a PhD
- Must have an upper-class Master degree in business
Harding Distinguished Postgraduate Scholars Programme
Established in 2019 by a generous donation from David and Claudia Harding Foundation, Harding Scholarship is for a PhD degree in Cambridge University.
- University of Cambridge fees for the entire duration of the study
- Maintenance allowance of £18,000 per annum
- Research allowance
- Visa processing allowance and health insurance
- Upper-class Master degree
- International students can apply
- Students willing to study PhD subjects offered by the University of Cambridge
Earning a PhD from a reputable university in the UK significantly impacts your career growth. Lack of funding should not stop you from pursuing your dreams; you can make it possible if you have the potential. If you are a talented individual with outstanding academic achievements and intellectual capabilities, check out the above scholarships. You can visit the websites of these scholarships to find more about the eligibility criteria and application process specific to your country. We hope that our compiled list of fully-funded scholarships for PhD will be helpful for your educational journey.